This week I attempted one of my thai restaurant favorites: sticky rice with mangoes. It’s kind of a perfect dessert because its not overbearing but its savory enough to satisfy a sweet tooth. *Some tips for this recipe: Use riper mangos, and use the water that you soak the sticky rice in to cook it.
– 2 Ripe Mangos
– 1.5 cups of sweet sticky rice
– 1 Can of coconut milk (the creamier the better)
– 6 tablespoons of granulated sugar
– a few sprigs of mint for garnish (optional)
1) Soak sticky rice in warm water for 30 minutes then drain the rice and conserve the water that the sticky rice was soaked in (approximately 1.5 cups of liquid).
3) Add half of the can of coconut milk and 2 tablespoons of sugar to the sticky rice and water. Bring the sticky rice to a boil and then lower the heat to simmer for approximately 20 minutes (Chef tip: Shake the can of coconut milk before using to achieve even consistency. I forgot to shake the can and my sauce ended up being less milky than I had intended.) Let the rice cook until most of the moisture has evaporated.
4) While you are cooking the rice, put another sauce pan on the stove at very low temperature and mix the remaining coconut milk with 4 tablespoons of sugar. Slice the mango into cubes and set aside.
5) Remove the rice from the heat and serve in a bowl. Pour the coconut milk sauce on top and add the mangos. I thought the appropriate garnish for this dessert was a few sprigs of mint even though I’m not showing it in my photos. You can never really go wrong with mint.